Ingredients (makes 12)
- 2 tbsp sunflower butter (or other dairy-free butter, you could also use coconut oil but it would completely change the taste)
- 1/4 cup gluten free self-raising flour (I used Dove’s Farm)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- Pinch each salt and vanilla
Filling and topping
- A few tbsp cherry jam (enough to spread over the pastry base, so will depend on size of tin used)
- Handful dried cherries
- Flaked almonds (to decorate)
- 120g ground almonds
- 1 large egg
- Coconut sugar and vanilla to taste
- Few drops almond extract
Bake in the oven at 160°C for around 25 mins or until golden and set
For the base, mix together the ingredients until you get a slightly crumbly dough – press this down into your tin and prick with a fork a few times (to prevent it rising too much during baking). Bake for around 15 minutes at 180°C or until it begins to go slightly golden.
Whilst the base is cooling, mix together the ground almonds, egg, vanilla, almond extract and coconut sugar – you may want to add a little almond milk at this stage so you get a smooth, thick batter (alternatively, add another egg or a little honey).
Spread the jam over the base, before pouring over the filling. Decorate as desired – I used flaked almonds and dried cherries.
Bake in the oven at 160°C for around 25 mins, until golden at the top and set (with a slight wobble in the centre). Leave to cool before slicing.